More and more Internet users come across websites containing an audio and/or video track these days. The problem is that this type of media is usually executed automatically once the web page is loaded. This can cause the user discomfort, especially if the latter already has his music next door. This is your case and you are therefore looking for an effective solution that can allow you to permanently mute an annoying tab sound in google chrome ? If the answer is yes, then this tutorial article should help you out. Indeed, we presented two (2) different methods to mute the audio played by a tab of this famous browser.
Step 1: Identify the tab where the noise is coming from
The first thing you need to do when you have a noisy tab is identify the source of that noise. In the majority of cases, this annoying sound is generated by a media player embedded in the visited website.
So just find the relevant tab to stop the player or mute him. This is still simple to do as long as there are only a few tabs open in the web browser. You have opened a large number of them and do not know which one emits this noise that bothers you? No problem, here is the procedure you must follow to identify the tab that is in question.
To locate it very quickly, enlarge Google Chrome if you use it in a reduced window. On Windows, you must click on the square-shaped icon at the top right of the browser window to perform this gesture.
In contrast, on macOS, you’ll find the maximize icon on the left side of your browser window. This is the small yellow circle.
Thanks to this trick, you can make the title of the tabs of your browser larger and thus facilitate the display of the speaker icon. Indeed, this icon is generally displayed in front of the title of the tab from which the sound comes.
Step 2: Mute the loud tab sound
Now that you know which tab is causing this annoyance, all you have to do is mute the sound. You can go about it in two (2) different ways to achieve your ends.
Method #1: Mute Loud Tab Sound from Page Player
Most people who encounter a noisy tab in Chrome choose to mute the active player directly on the page where the noise is coming from. You can do the same if you wish. For this you must:
- first of all open the tab from which the noise that bothers you is emitted;
- then, scroll the page in question until you come across the media player who plays the audio and/or video file;
- drag your mouse in the player field to bring up its options;
- finally, press the loudspeaker icon located at the level of the player to block audio output. It is usually found in the bottom section of the drive.
If a little ” x appears in front of the sound icon, it will then mean that the sound of the video has been successfully interrupted. If necessary, you can return to your business in peace.
Some Internet users also do not hesitate to pause the media player of the site they are visiting. You can do this too, but be aware that on some platforms the media player can resume reading following an automatic page refresh.
Method #2: Mute Player Sound from Tab
Does the above method seem too long to apply? For the impatient, there is another method, much faster and simpler, which achieves the same result. This mainly consists of muting the sound of the page visited from its tab.
To achieve this, you need to do the following:
- Go to the noisy tab;
- Then right-click on it;
- Go through the list of options available to you, then select ” Mute the sound of the site“.
- As soon as you click on this feature, the Chrome browser will mute all sounds made by this page, whether they come from the page player, a notification or another source. A bar will then appear on the speaker icon in the relevant page tab.
- To disable this feature, follow the first steps listed above. Next, right-click on the mute tab and select, finally, from the list of available options, “ Unmute site“.