Storing meat in the freezer allows it to be preserved longer, thus guaranteeing the supply so that you always have it on hand when it comes to cooking. However, sometimes we receive guests at the last minute and we have to cook more pieces of meat than expected. The problem is that defrosting usually takes a long time. Do not panic: we are going to offer you an infallible trick to defrost your meat in 10 minutes. And this, without even going through the microwave box!
Tip for defrosting meat in just 10 minutes
Do you have meat cut into fillets, thin slices or small pieces? Perfect. For rapid defrosting, your precious ally is none other than hot water.
The method is very simple:
- First heat the water in a saucepan to 60°C. Then turn off the fire.
- Meanwhile, put the meat in a sealed freezer bag and place it in the pan of preheated water.
- Stir occasionally. If necessary, you can even add more hot water.
- After about ten minutes, the meat will be completely defrosted.
Another trick : if you prefer, you can fill a container with hot water, put it in the sink (well disinfected) and put the bag of meat inside. After 10 minutes, the slice of meat or even a turkey breast will be completely thawed. Don’t worry, bacteria won’t be able to grow there, this method is very safe!
Of course, those who have a microwave can also use the specific defrosting function. It is also quick, since you can defrost your meat after about ten minutes. Only problem: this method, although very common, is known to slightly alter the taste and appearance of the meat. Especially since some parts may even cook and others may not defrost properly. And if your appliance is not perfectly cleaned, you risk contaminating your piece of meat with residues or unpleasant odors.
Another quick way to defrost meat without a microwave
If you have a little more time to cook, try this technique used by many Chefs. This time, change of temperature, we go to cold water!
It is also very easy to apply:
- Remove the meat from the freezer and wrap it in a tightly sealed freezer bag, similar to the previous method.
- Take a large bowl filled with very cold water and immerse the bag in it. It must be well submerged and the water covers it completely.
- You can change the water after a few minutes.
- In just 30 minutes, the meat will be perfectly thawed.
NB: obviously, the soaking time varies according to the weight and size of the piece of meat. If it is a very meaty and thick prime rib, it can take up to 45 minutes or even an hour. But if the slices are thin, half an hour will be more than enough. On the other hand, insofar as cold water may relax and soften the flesh, once well drained, it is better to wait one to two hours before cooking.
Read also Stop using the microwave to defrost meat: here’s the best way to do it