These parents came very close to a real tragedy. On the advice of their chiropractor, parents gave their babies another brand of vitamin D. They thought that the dosage of the drug was similar to the one they had before.
However, they got it wrong, and that mistake nearly killed their baby. Indeed, after a while, the infant began to feel unwell. His parents then took him to the emergency room where they aware of their mistake.
A vitamin D dosage error
Alicia’s baby, just 6 months old, take regularly vitamin D. At first, her parents gave her ZymaD. However, as the supplement was causing her colic, they turned to their chiropractor for advice.
Vitamin D: beware of the risk of overdose in children, a mother testifies https://t.co/QcX3eHrWJv pic.twitter.com/p8PQPdlwju
— Femina.fr (@Femina_fr) July 27, 2022
The specialist advised them to go for another drug. She also told them to be careful, because even a small error could dangerous of the child. Alicia and her spouse followed his advice. They searched the internet and came across the Sunday Natural.
The contraction of the drug seemed to match that of ZymaD, because on the label it said “10,000 IU”. So they bought it. What they unfortunately did not know was that there was a slight difference. The “10,000 IU” dosage of Sunday Natural does not correspond to one milliliter as with ZymaD.
It corresponds to a drop. Alicia and her partner couldn’t have known, because the packaging was in German, and neither of them did not know the language. They then gave vitamin D to their child without suspecting that it would harm his health.
Vitamin D: side effects
After a few days, Alicia notices that her infant does not go well. He stops gaining weight and finds it hard to get on his stomach. Not knowing what to do, the mother and her husband take her to see a doctor. It is only there that they realize their mistake.
The doctors told them that the baby suffers from nephrocalcinosis linked to an overdose of vitamin D. If they had delayed taking him for tests, the story could have ended very badly.
“We almost lost him. (…) If we put things coldly, we say to ourselves that we almost killed our baby. This prospect haunts me even more than it makes me feel guilty”, regrets Alicia.
What she went through affected Alicia a lot. On the strength of this experience, she now wishes educate as many parents as possible. In particular, given the risk associated with an overdose of vitamin D.
The right reflexes to adopt
Parents should provide their infant with a sufficient amount of vitamin D. And this, to avoid diseases like rickets. Indeed, a suitably supplemented baby rarely encounters growth problemse. This explains why pediatricians prescribe vitamin D from the first days of the child.
In addition, ANSES invites parents to be vigilant regarding the risks associated with a vitamin D overdose. Indeed, if the supplementation is not adapted, it could cause serious health problems. As was the case with Alicia’s baby.
To raise awareness among as many people as possible, ANSES then issued a reminder on July 25, 2022. He offered some tips for parents on getting the right vitamin D dosage. Here’s what the agency recommends:
- Consult a physician before giving infant vitamin D
- Do not change the dosage unless prescribed by a doctor
- Always be careful when giving vitamin D to the baby
- Avoid giving several products containing vitamin D to the infant
According to ANSES, it is better prefer drugs to food supplements. The reason is that they guarantee “clear information in terms of doses, precautions for use (…) and overdose”.
⚠️ Risk of overdose at #vitamin D in children.
We recall our recos:
✅ prefer drugs to food supplements,
✅ control the doses administered,
❎ do not multiply products containing vitamin D.
More info: https://t.co/J6ovGuyTMe https://t.co/fiHjmqfAe6
— Anses (@Anses_fr) July 25, 2022
Note that in 2021, several cases of hypercalcemia in infants have been reported. In question, the intake of food supplements rich in vitamin D. This prompted ANSES to raise awareness among young parents.